Thread: Impact of allowing DirecTV calling a Baked installation

Impact of allowing DirecTV calling a Baked installation

I baked my two Hughes-DVR80 with 6.2 in 2006 or so. Since then I haven't ever allowed the machine to call via phone (updates received through the Ethernet connection).

I lost my local TV channels this weekend. Talking with DirecTV they claim unless I allow a phone call there is no fix, unless I upgrade to new equipment.

My options would appear:

-Couldn't locate any post with a solution/work around to get local channels.

- Installing a local antenna and injecting to my network, is a possible - but very ugly option. However, I don't know if this will work as DirecTV no longer charges a premium for local channels.

-What will happen if I hook up my box to a phone line - will it update software from DirecTV and destroy previously recorded shows, or just cause loss of MRV and other valued features including network access.

-I recall selecting options when backing my drives, to tell the system to not call DirecTV. Can I change this with out rebaking - if so how?

-Will ugrading/rebaking from 6.2 to 6.4 solve the local channels issues? But again it would appear I loose other features.

- Other Options to consider...

Thanks,
    Stuart

Did you get an answer to how to upgrade? I have the same issue. It would appear as if Slicer would be the way to upgrade but the new slices are not on my machine. I think I need to do something to allow them to be downloaded but I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Boiler_81 View Post
    Did you get an answer to how to upgrade? I have the same issue. It would appear as if Slicer would be the way to upgrade but the new slices are not on my machine. I think I need to do something to allow them to be downloaded but I don't know what to do.
    Lost all my locals last week. I finally gave in and used instant cake to upgrade my system to 6.4a. That got my locals back, but I lost all my hacks from years ago including Mrv and fakecall. It's a pain. The whole reason I hacked was to Mrv. I don't have a phone line here either. I can't complete my setup w/o making a call??

I guess I have to rehack my new instant cake image to get fakecall back to complete my setup??