Thread: White Screen at bootup

Cool White Screen at bootup

I have a Humax 80 hour unit that was freezing all the time.
    Humax support said it was a bad hard drive.
    I bought a new 300Gig Maxtor and ran instant cake on it, but now I get the "TiVo Powering up" for about 10 seconds, then it goes to a blank white screen and never finishes booting..

Has anyone seen this ?
    Last edited by hemiway; 09-24-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Clarify question

Quote Originally Posted by hemiway View Post
    I have a Humax 80 hour unit that was freezing all the time.
    Humax support said it was a bad hard drive.
    I bought a new 300Gig Maxtor and ran instant cake on it, but now I get the "TiVo Powering up" for about 10 seconds, then it goes to a blank white screen and never finishes booting..

Has anyone seen this ?
    Could be that your problem was not a bad hard drive; or it could be that it was (or is now) more than a bad hard drive.

First thing you should do is run diags on both of the hard drives (old and new) to determine whether or not these are factors. Eliminating these variables should always be your first steps, since its the easiest thing to do.

If the drives check out fine, and you are STILL having a problem, check all of the cables and connections in your unit. Perhaps you have accidentally dislodged the white ribbon cable in the front of your unit? If so, power down the unit and ensure that connection is properly made -- but beware, permanent damage may already have occurred if that is already the case.

The same goes for all other cables and connections in the unit...

Smile It was a bad hard drive cable

Well, I double checked all the cables and connections, and I was very carefull to not bump the small white ribbon cable, because I had read other posts about it causing permanent damage.

Next I downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility from maxtor.com (SeaTools for Dos) and verified my hard drive was good. It was.

Running out of ideas to try, I switched out the IDE hard drive cable and then it booted fine...

So when I changed the drive I guess I twisted the hard drive cable the wrong way and caused it to not work anymore...

good job

Good going and way to take a methodical approach to solving the problem; glad it all worked out in the end.