View Poll Results: What platform are you using with your HDHomerun?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC - Windows MCE

12 52.17%
  • PC - SAGE

4 17.39%
  • PC - MYTH

3 13.04%
  • PC - BEYOND TV

2 8.70%
  • PC - ArcSoft Total Media

1 4.35%
  • OTHER

3 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you an HDHomeRun user, and if so, how are you using it?

Quote Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
    On our last bill, Comcast is charging us $7.49 for the HD DVR box and an additional $9.95 for the "HD DVR service". So we're paying almost $17 per month for Comcast's DVR - vs. free for the HDHRs with Media Center!
    Wow. You may want to keep something like the TiVo HD on your radar. The initial cost of the hardware may put you off, though - the MSRP is $299. The cost of the service is $12.95 / month (lifetime subscription is $399). And Comcast will want to charge you about $5 / month for the CableCard that is required; so the monthly fees are pretty much a wash. You'd definitely get a lot more for your money with the TiVo's additional features.

With all of that said, the HDHomeRun is definitely the best 'value' - its just those encrypted channels that are a problem...

Really want to stick with the Media Center solution - because we have 3 media extenders accessing the central media center - so the HD-PVR or HDPC-20 solution may be better for us than a TivoHD.

Just have to be patient until Vista Media Center update comes out later this year and see what new devices work in our environment.

My hdHomeRun works great on Vista MCE

I'm currently running it on a Windows Vista system with Core2Duo and it works great as an OTA receiver with an outdoor antenna (I can actually see the antennas from my living room). I did need to buy an amplified antenna splitter for it to work well. My Comcast basic cable service did have unencrypted QAM but the bit rate was so low that viewing it was unacceptable with any movement on the screen.

I still have a Hauppauge PVR350 for recording analog programming so I love being able to record three programs simultaneously (two ATSC and one NTSC).

I did have problems getting it all to work in the beginning, but the instructions given in the SiliconDust website was correct. It just didn't work for the first few times. Not sure why. Updated the firmware and drivers and it works fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Jacob View Post
    If you are an HDHomeRun user, we'd like to know more about how you are using it. Please answer the poll question and if you have time, please post a little information on how you are using it. What we'd really like to know is the type of PC you are using, what PVR software you are using, and anything else interesting about your implementation.

Some other questions:

Are you using a set-top box, such as a Neuros, XBOX360 or some other device, to view your recorded material on your TV?

Do you watch your recorded material on your PC, laptop or other portable device?

We think that the HDHomeRun is a great product, but there are a variety of ways to implement and use it; we'd like to hear more about how folks are doing it!

Lou

PS I can edit the poll choices as I get more data... Lj
    The truth is it is installed but I am paying Time Warner for HD DVR. My set up is no line of sight to OTA digital UHF briadcasts from Mount Wilson.

I own two Tivo boxes, a series one and a two linked to Amazon.

I am only interested in High Quality Content in HD.

Time Waners ON Demand HD has only 2 channel stereo sound...If Carl Ichan knew that heads would roll......lol.

I have no trouble porting from my cable box to the MCE laptop and from there to an old Dell Media Center Extender to the full Home Theater at 1080i (good enough) with 5+1 sound using component cables.

I was hoping to find new (outside Time Warner) content using Home Run from the Internet in HD....(I am not looking for a pirate video)....I have had no luck with this and thus am too ignorant to know how to use my device. What i have downloaded is just awful either due to piracy or compression.

I would love to learn what software and sites work well to watch HD films...I am ok with paying for them...

I would willingly give up my cable box HDDVR for a series 3 but the price point including lifetime transfer would have to be sub $500 and this doesn't really solve the lack of variety of quality content in HD.

HELP!

HDHR + SageTV = Grand Slam!

Being able to capture ClearQAM is the reason why I got HDHR. Simply put, I love it -- two tuners makes life wonderful. No complaints whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by paulgamla View Post

I would love to learn what software and sites work well to watch HD films...I am ok with paying for them...

I would willingly give up my cable box HDDVR for a series 3 but the price point including lifetime transfer would have to be sub $500 and this doesn't really solve the lack of variety of quality content in HD.

HELP!
    There is another alternative, especially if you are a movie buff. Check out VUDU; its $295 for the box, plus the cost of any movies you rent or purchase. Delivery is instant, though VUDU's proprietary p2p network. You do need a fast network, though. The VUDU solution is far superior to things like AppleTV, XBOX360 and the streaming stuff Netflix does to the PC. The library is decent (about 6000 titles) but growing very quickly, with a particular emphasis on HD (1080i).

I will start another thread here in the "Interesting Products" area for follow-up discussion, or if you don't find one, please feel free to follow-up with additional questions by creating a new thread - I don't want to sidetrack this one, too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Jacob View Post
    There is another alternative, especially if you are a movie buff. Check out VUDU; its $295 for the box, plus the cost of any movies you rent or purchase. Delivery is instant, though VUDU's proprietary p2p network. You do need a fast network, though. The VUDU solution is far superior to things like AppleTV, XBOX360 and the streaming stuff Netflix does to the PC. The library is decent (about 6000 titles) but growing very quickly, with a particular emphasis on HD (1080i).

I will start another thread here in the "Interesting Products" area for follow-up discussion, or if you don't find one, please feel free to follow-up with additional questions by creating a new thread - I don't want to sidetrack this one, too much.
    New thread created here...

HDHR + Cable Cards + Vista Media Center

I have been using my HDHomerun with my Dell XPS 420, Vista Media Center. The HDHR is used for recording my Local HDs so I can keep my dual OCUR ATI tuners available for the rest of the cable.

My only complaint thus far is a bug with the HDHR HD channels when viewed on an Extender. The HD channels come across all scrambled, unless I have Media Center open on my media center PC. I could not find a permanent fix to this issue, except to just always leave Media Center open on my PC.

Hopefully this issue gets sorted out in a future firmware or Media Center update. Besides that, they are working excellent.

Cool EyeTV user here

I have a Core 2 Quad OS X machine running EyeTV with the HDHomeRun and a USB based analog tuner. I love the fact that I can leave the HDHomeRun in my garage, out of sight. It also worked better signal wise as I had dropouts (clear QAM) when I used a connection in my office.

GBPVR + HDHomerun

Running on a modest desktop pc (XP Home SP3) this combination is like XBMC on steroids.

I use it to record HD OTA for later playback on a 37" Toshiba. It is rock solid with Cyberlink codecs.

GBPVR also streams my video, music and pictures from one wired and one wireless NAS box as well as XBMC ever did.